Wednesday, September 12, 2018

No Closer Than a Stranger


VERSE 1
You seem to know everything about me
Maybe that’s why you choose to doubt me
No closer than a stranger, all about danger
Taking faraway shots like a sniping ranger
Do your homework, or better yet ask me
How long my life and career are lasting
I call the shots and carve my own path
It’s not rocket science or three-D math

VERSE 2
You seem to know what it is you want
Your loving kisses are more like a chomp
No closer than a stranger, being the angel
Of hell or heaven, both can prove fatal
A seductress so tempting and sweet
Sees me as nothing but hellhound meat
I’ve seen it all before, not begging anymore
For any pretty face who’s rotten to the core

BRIDGE
Money, get back, I’m alright, Jack
Stop spending everything on crack
Money, so they say, is the root of evil
Buying the minds of average people
No closer than a stranger on the streets
Or a dead body buried beneath my feet
Or a priest or politician on television
I refuse to join your corporate religion

VERSE 3
All you had to do was care about me
Not live your life on your dirty knees
No closer than a stranger, yet here you are
Thinking you can set my highest bars
This is why I don’t jump in headfirst
A cracked open skull is the fucking worst
Just be there to catch me when I fall
Then I will tear down my Floydian wall

FINAL LINES
No closer than a stranger, I see your anger
No closer than a stranger, my pain you savor
No closer than a villain, no closer than a punk
You’re no prophet of rage or renegade of funk

No comments:

Post a Comment