Sunday, January 7, 2018

Coasting

A bowl of corn flakes on my lap
Elderly parents taking their naps
Kitties and puppies everywhere
Gray rain petrichor in the air

This is my haven and sanctuary
Until the day of my obituary
Day after day of feeling happy
The universe’s energy I’m trapping

But in this zone, nothing grows
Nothing to gain, nothing to show
Taking risks is the rational answer
Reason sounds like mindless banter

Too many times I’ve crashed and burned
Laying low the only lesson learned
A head full of voices is all I’ve earned
Broken memories are all that returned

If someone wants to show me the way
We could get it done as soon as today
Those who laugh call this handholding
Those with loud voices resort to scolding

But here’s the truth you can have for free
It doesn’t just apply to someone like me
We all need a push in the right direction
Even if it’s only the smallest correction

Don’t give me speeches about boots in the ass
Use some vocabulary that actually has class
Cheer me on instead of throwing insults
Show me my path without leading the cult

I’ll take it from here, this is my journey
These are the horizons for which I’m yearning
I’ll never forget where I came from

As I claim my place in this kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment