Friday, March 2, 2018

Millennium X Otherwise: Beautiful Monster


***MILLENNIUM X OTHERWISE: BEAUTIFUL MONSTER***

Raise your hand if you at least have a surface level understanding of the 1990’s horror TV series Millennium. I didn’t watch it on a regular basis when it was on TV, but there was one episode in particular that disturbed the shit out of me. The title is creepy on its own: “A Room with No View”. Gee, I wonder what kind of room they could be referring to. No windows, no balcony, just walls and darkness. This wouldn’t be the kind of room where kidnapping victims are kept, would it?

After seeing news stories on TV about pedophiles kidnapping children and keeping them in captivity for decades at a time, you’d be right to think that kidnapping is a disgusting topic to approach. If a creepy guy kidnaps an innocent girl, there’d be no debate at all as to how sickening that is. We’d all be clamoring for the creepy guy to be locked up. But in “A Room with No View”, the gender roles are reversed. A drop-dead gorgeous young woman named Lucy Butler kidnaps a high school student named Landon Bryce.

The minute Lucy has Landon under lock and key, she goes right into lovey-dovey mode. She tells him she loves him, she cuddles with him, and “comforts” him after he tries to get away and is recaptured. Attempting to escape the compound and getting caught again is something that happens over and over in this episode. And who’s there to give him love and sugar when he returns? Lucy Butler, of course. Oh, and Landon also is told to believe that he’s mediocre and ordinary. So when the FBI eventually raids the compound and rescues him, not only does he have sexual trauma to deal with, but also self-esteem issues. How nice.

If a story is creepy on its own and that’s the only emotion it dabbles with, then we’ve got an open and shut case no doubt. But then this episode of Millennium fuses the creepy feeling with sexual desires and lovey-dovey romance. That makes the creepy feeling even worse. The more emotions you can mix with creepiness, the more intense said creepiness becomes. Landon Bryce is probably going to be fucked up for the rest of the Millennium canon. Society loves to judge male victims as “pussies” and “fags”, so it’s not like he can get away from that stigma after becoming free from the femme fatale known as Lucy Butler.

When I first saw this episode back in the late 90’s, the timing couldn’t have been worse for me. I was already a middle school kid who was turning down dates with girls left and right because I was in constant fear that they’d screw me over in court. My own father had divorce issues of his own and was paying out the ass for it, so that’s where my irrational fear of romance came from. And now I see this episode of Millennium and think, “Is that what relationships are really all about?!” Obviously, the answer is no. But at the time, it seemed reasonable to me.

I wrote this blog entry for two reasons and not one of them is so that Men’s Rights Activists could rejoice. I have lots of love for feminist culture and know full well that there’s only one Lucy Butler in the world (on top of that, she’s not even real!). Would you like to know what my two reasons really are? One of them is to announce that I’ve come up with a fantasy novel idea based on the motif of women kidnapping men. The other reason is because I’ve found the perfect song to go with this novel (should I decide to write it). It’s called “Beautiful Monster” by Otherwise and it’s my current favorite song from that hard rock band from Vegas. If you read the lyrics to the song, you’ll find out just how much Lucy Butler and the villainess of my own novel idea have in common with Otherwise’s beautiful monster in question.


VERSE 1
Something about the way that she makes me hate myself
I could run away but I don't want no one else
So say what you want, it's already done
It's Russian Roulette and love is the gun
You don't know her, you don't know her like I do

CHORUS
Looking like an angel so divine
You can see the devil in those eyes
She's a monster by my side baby
Taking me six feet down tonight
Cause dancing with the devil gets me high
She's a monster, a beautiful monster
(A beautiful monster)


VERSE 2
Something about the way that she tears me up inside
Is it wrong that I love it when I know she'll bleed me dry
So say what you want, it's already done
It's Russian Roulette and love is the gun
You don't know her, you don't know her like I do

CHORUS
Looking like an angel so divine
You can see the devil in those eyes
She's a monster by my side baby
Taking me six feet down tonight
Cause dancing with the devil gets me high
She's a monster, a beautiful monster

BRIDGE
A beautiful monster
I don't want to be saved
A beautiful monster
I don't want to be saved
A beautiful monster
I don't want to be saved
A beautiful monster
I don't want to be saved

CHORUS
Looking like an angel so divine
You can see the devil in those eyes
She's a monster by my side baby
Taking me six feet down tonight
Cause dancing with the devil gets me high
She's a monster, a beautiful monster
A beautiful monster


Are you scared yet? You should be! I’m Garrison Kelly and I’ll see you next time!


***TELEVISION DIALOGUE OF THE DAY***

LEMONHEAD: We’re all going to crash and burn because of you! Amy’s not even that hot, man!

SHANE VENDRELL: Oh, thanks for the support, asshole!

-The Shield-

No comments:

Post a Comment