Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Talk to the Wind

***TALK TO THE WIND***

I’ve said many times in the past that Martin Kesici (KIZ-uh-chee) is one of the most underrated rock stars in the world today. He’s got charisma, he’s got a voice of gold, and he knows how to get heavy when it counts. But if his Wikipedia stub is anything to go by, he doesn’t get the fame and fortune that he deserves. Yes, I know that any dumb-ass can edit a Wikipedia page and without proper sources those pages are unreliable. There are even rock musicians today that don’t have their own Wikipedia page at all, I get that. But if I say the name Martin Kesici to you, what do you associate that with? Exactly. Try finding him on iTunes, by the way, see how far you’ll go.

I can tell you firsthand that Mr. Kesici deserves more recognition because his 2005 album “So What?” and his “My Heart Beats Pain” EP can tug at the heartstrings while rocking your ass out at the same time. I know I’m beating a dead horse when I talk about my lonely WWU days, but Martin Kesici’s music was one of the things that got me through it all. From the moment I heard his duet with Tarja Turunen called “Leaving You For Me”, I knew I had to have the “So What?” album. On that same album is a song called “Talk to the Wind”, which invokes imagery of heartwarming romantic love. Lord knows I’ve had plenty of crushes in college, so thinking about them with this song playing in my headsets was pure heaven. As long as I had this song, I never had to feel lonely or depressed ever again. Here are the lyrics:


VERSE 1
In a little wooden church with stained glass windows
You came walking down the aisle with your perfect smile
Ever since that precious day, we’ve always been together
And we’ve had our ups and downs, but we’ll always come around

CHORUS
I talk to the wind when there’s nothing left to say
It gets rough sometimes, but I know we’ll be okay
Just a whisper in my ear is enough to bring me back
To when you gave yourself to me in the church by the sea
I talk to the wind

VERSE 2
People say we’ll never last, that it happened way too fast
Yes, we’ve had our share of fights and lonely nights
But I knew it when I saw you, your big brown eyes
That no matter what we go through, we will always get by

CHORUS
I talk to the wind when there’s nothing left to say
It gets rough sometimes, but I know we’ll be okay
Just a whisper in my ear is enough to bring me back
To when you gave yourself to me in the church by the sea
I talk to the wind

BRIDGE
When it feels like the end of our journey
All we need is to keep the wheel turning
No matter what comes our way

CHORUS
I talk to the wind when there’s nothing left to say
It gets rough sometimes, but I know we’ll be okay
Just a whisper in my ear is enough to bring me back
To when you gave yourself to me in the church by the sea
I talk to the wind


***WEEKLY SHORT STORY CONTESTS AND COMPANY***

It’s a brand new week at the WSS and it’s time for a new story, this time with the prompt suggestion of “teeth”. There are lots of things an author or poet can do with teeth, but here’s what I’d like to do. It’s called “The Ballad of Gravedigger Jane” and it goes like this:


CHARACTERS:

  1. Chris Duncan, Political Pundit
  2. Gravedigger Jane, Transgender Boxing Champion

PROMPT CONFORMITY: Gravedigger Jane has loosened her opponents’ teeth many times during her boxing career. The same fate could befall Chris Duncan if he keeps running his mouth.

SYNOPSIS: Chris Duncan is a guest speaker at Beachside University and his topic of choice is running down the LGBT community. He gets an equal amount of cheers and boos from the student audience, but things get heated when he singles out Gravedigger Jane for wanting to use female bathrooms and locker rooms and for fighting other female competitors. Instead of taking another minute of abuse, Jane storms down the aisle in an attempt to beat the holy hell out of Chris. The only things keeping her from doing so are the heavy security detail and potentially being blackballed from college boxing if she goes through with it. The more Chris taunts her, the more punchable his face becomes.

FUN FACTS: This story has two sources of inspiration: the MMA community’s bigoted reaction to Fallon Fox in 2013 and Milo Yiannopoulos’s visit to a college campus where he bullied a transgender student in front of the audience. As you can tell, this story is going to push more buttons than an old school arcade game cabinet.


***MASHUP IDEAS***

In a moment of sheer boredom, I came up with ideas for mashup songs. I have no idea how to make a mashup song, but if one of my readers out there does, here are some suggestions you can try:

  1. Five Finger Death Punch vs. TNA: “Under and Over Feedback”
  2. Limp Bizkit vs. Spice One: “Born 2 Truth”
  3. Linkin Park vs. From Ashes to New: “Breaking In the End”
  4. Linkin Park vs. Street Fighter Alpha 3: “The Faint Road
  5. Seether vs. Martin Kesici and Tarja Turunen: “I’m Fine with Leaving You For Me Again”
  6. Tribe Called Quest vs. Earthbound: “Weird Butter”


***DARK FANTASY WARRIORS***

Ever since I’ve started writing sci-fi and fantasy stories for the WSS once again, I’ve had more ideas for drawings. The latest in this series will be Lux, the control engineer behind Kobra’s illusions in the short story “I Am Death”. She’ll probably look vastly different from how I’ve described her in the canon, but I’ll try my hardest to be at least somewhat faithful to her white dress, black boots, and black mask outfit.


***TELEVISION QUOTE OF THE DAY***

“Who are some of your favorite bands? I like the Various Artists.”


-Adrian Monk-

No comments:

Post a Comment