Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Legos

From six years old to my mid-teens, Legos were a huge part of my life. I would mix and match Lego mini-figure parts to create various characters to play with. I’ve had barbarians, knights, time travelers, wizards with knives, and an entire squadron of space warriors called The Faces of Death. Guess where that name came from. And then when my mid-teens were over, so was the magic. I literally lost my ability to play with toys amidst suffering from PTSD due to bullying in high school. Thanks, jerks. Now that I’m in adulthood, I still collect Lego sets and figures, but I never really get them out and play with them ever. I’m a struggling author who needs as many storylines as possible, preferably ones that aren’t “wasted” on Lego playing sessions. It’s not a total loss, however. While I don’t play with Legos anymore, I do write stories about the various sets I put together. Back in late 2009, I wrote tons of short stories involving my toys known as “Lego Wars”. They were slightly off-color and extremely violent, just like any other story I would write. Two years later, I wrote a full-length novel called Toy Story Extreme, where a Lego fan boy named Darius Oliver was holding a destructive tournament for his toys. It had the potential to be something amazing, except for the fact that it was my first attempt at an all-dialogue story complete with spoken décor. If I’m going to publish it on Lulu.com, then I’ll need to do a LOT of work to fix it up. It’s a year and a half later and now I’ve got an idea for a Lego story called Toy Story Extreme 2: Casey’s Army. In the case of this idea (which won’t be written until after I get done with Hardcore Hate 2), Casey Brooks is a juvenile delinquent who is sent to an all-girls school after getting in trouble with the law so many times. She brings her violent toys with her and brings them to life via witchcraft in order to take revenge on the people who wronged her. Seeing as how Legos had such a huge influence on my life, I think it’s only natural that I would want to see a Lego-based novel at Barnes & Noble or on Amazon.com. It probably wouldn’t be intended for adults, but I’d still read it if there was one, preferably set within the world of the Time Cruisers and Time Twisters. I may be playing with fire when I write my own Lego stories because of copyright issues, just like I’ve discussed in my blog entry about videogames adapted into books. So if there’s someone out there who actually likes playing with fire, please, by all means, write a Lego book for adults who loved them as kids. Thanks, and have a great goddamn day!

 

***LYRICS OF THE DAY***

“When we grew up and went to school, there were certain teachers who would hurt the children anyway they could. By pouring their derision upon anything we did, exposing every weakness no matter how carefully hidden by the kids. But in the town it was well known when they got home at night their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.”

-Pink Floyd singing “The Happiest Days of Our Lives”-

No comments:

Post a Comment