Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rest In Peace, Ned Vizzini



It seems rather odd that I would do a rest in peace segment for a man I didn’t know of until he died. The man in question is young adult author Ned Vizzini, who this past December committed suicide due to complications from depression and anxiety. He was only 32 years old. There are two reasons why I’m paying tribute to him despite never having read his books. One, suicide holds a special place in my heart. Two, mental illness also holds a special place in my heart. These two aspects of Ned Vizzini’s death are special to me because I’ve lived through them. When I was being bullied in high school in Chehalis, I contracted PTSD and felt like dying. When I was hearing negative voices in my head in my senior year at a different high school, it turned out I had schizophrenia and I still wanted to die. People consider suicide as an option because they see no other way out of their hardships. I didn’t know there was a treatment for PTSD (pills and EMDR therapy). I also didn’t know I had schizophrenia until I took a class in psychology and the symptoms became familiar. Ned Vizzini probably knew what he was dealing with inside his head, but he probably couldn’t take it anymore and saw no other way to relieve his mind other than suicide. Ned’s story should serve as a cautionary tale to anybody out there who’s dealing with a crippling amount of stress. The lesson here is that there is always help if you seek it out. Awareness plays a huge part in the recovery process as does a network of support whether it’s from friends, family, or professionals. Nothing is worth dying for, especially when you have something special to offer the ones you love. In Ned’s case, he had his writing to offer the world and I’d say he did quite well for himself. Kurt Cobain had his music to offer the world and he’s a cult figure. I know this isn’t a popular thing to say given how he died, but Chris Benoit had his wrestling abilities to offer the world. With so many things to live for and even less things to die for, why would suicide be an option? For every problem going on in your life, there is a solution of some kind. Finding that solution is hard work, I’ll admit. Sometimes it’s not immediately within reach. But the harder you fight for your heart and soul, the closer that solution will appear. I’ll close this blog entry by using a phrase the anti-abortion wing nuts have perverted over the years: choose life. When I say that to you all, it’s not a strike against abortion, it’s a strike against suicide. Together, we can fight our demons and win. Rest in peace, Ned Vizzini.

 

***LYRICS OF THE DAY***

“Once upon a time, I swore I had a heart long before the world I knew tore it all apart. Once upon a time, there was a part of me I shared years before they took away the part of me that cared. I’ve been a thousand places and shook a million hands. I don’t know where I’m going, but I know just where I’ve been. I’ve flown a million miles and I’ve rode so many more. Everyday, a castaway, a vagabond, battle born.”

-Five Finger Death Punch singing “Battle Born”-

No comments:

Post a Comment