Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fav Whores

The term “Fav Whore” is common on Deviant Art and I’m sure it exists on other websites as well. It refers to somebody who adds pieces of art to their favorites collection only for page views or general attention. Whether or not that person actually likes your work is debatable. In fact, it may never come up in conversation again. While being active in the internet community is a good way to get attention, what kind of attention are you actually seeking by being a fav whore? Do you just want page views? If so, what exactly are you going to do with page views? Just because somebody looks at your work, doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll like it or spread the news. So if favorites and views don’t mean a damn thing anymore, then what does? Comments? It is true that an in-depth comment or critique will be sure to make both parties feel enriched. But what about comments like, “I love it!” and “Awesome!”? Do those really do anything for the artist seeking attention and love? Not really. Some people dig those comments, but when they’re accompanied with phrases like, “Come check out my art blog and/or gallery!”, that’s when it starts to get annoying. There’s a huge difference between flattering somebody and investing time in them. Flattery will only go so far, but investing time in someone will ensure a friendship that will last a lifetime. It’s the difference between having a friend and having a fan. Friends will never turn their backs on you during hard times or moments of joy. Fans will take that twelve inch blade and sever your spinal column the minute you fuck up. Fans are more common than friends, but now that we have this thing called the internet, it should be easier to make friends with the people you enjoy talking to. But the relationship between artist and viewer doesn’t always make it past the fan stage. I know this because there are celebrities that I have a fan-like relationship with. I used to like Scott Hall when he was wrestling for WWE as Razor Ramon and when he was wrestling for WCW under his real name. After all the no-shows and drug spirals, I stopped being a fan of his. It seems hypocritical of me given all the things I’ve said so far, but if I actually took the time to get to know Scott Hall a little better, I’m not sure he’d return the friendship. That’s why I choose to be a fan of wrestlers like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. They’re reliable employees, they put on fun matches, and they’re nice guys in real life. I’m sure both guys would return my friendship, but I’ll never know, because I don’t have a Twitter account and I don’t know of any other way to contact them. Bottom line: if you want friendships that will bring happiness to your life for a long, long time, don’t be a fav whore; be a friend. Shallow behavior will get you nowhere in the end.

 

***COMEDIC QUOTE OF THE DAY***

“Daniel Day-Lewis spent lots of time trying to get inside Abraham Lincoln’s head for his role. The one person who was able to get in Lincoln’s head the most was John Wilkes-Booth. What? Two-hundred years later and it’s still too soon?”

-Seth MacFarlane-

No comments:

Post a Comment