Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun" by Robert Kaplow



Can someone please explain to me why The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun has less than three stars on Good Reads right now? Is it because of the crass humor? If that’s all the reviewers have to go on, then they don’t have me convinced, because from page one, I’ve been laughing my ass off like a psychotic hyena. In fact, if you were sitting in the living room by yourself in the dark and I was reading this book in another room, you’d think you were trapped in the house with a serial killer akin to The Joker. The sex jokes, the toilet humor, the cat mystery satire, these things all made me laugh because for one, I’m a sick twisted fuck, and two, I’ve read a few Lilian Jackson Braun books in my life. I know what style she employs to the point where it becomes her mathematical formula. Robert Kaplow not only wrote down a list of crude jokes, but he did so in mockery of the Cat Who books. He too knows the style and he emulated and mocked it perfectly. The main character, an author named James Macintosh Qafka otherwise known as just Q, did everything you’d expect the character he was parodying to do. He lived with two precious felines, he went to random restaurants and ate weird ass food, he met with random friends in search of answers, and he was an avid writer. Take all of those traits and make them into the most disgusting, perverted, sickening tropes you could ever imagine. What you have is a mixture of snot, semen, blood, and God knows what else that not even a hazmat suit-wearing scientist would want to be around. Despite the overwhelming crudeness of the humor employed in Robert Kaplow’s parody, sooner or later, you’re going to laugh your ass off and sound like you belong in a mental ward. I’ll bet an entire month’s worth of SSI benefits that it’ll be sooner rather than later. You know what the best part about this book is? You don’t have to have read Lilian Jackson Braun’s works in order to understand it, because it plays out like a legitimate mystery with the suspenseful elements and sharp twists. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Actually, it’s okay to do that since the cover has the shadow of a cat with a blade in it’s paw. When I first saw the cover, I laughed my ass off. Imagine that: I actually laughed long before I opened the book. That should tell you something. And now I’m telling you all something: buy this book. Now.

 

***FACE BOOK POST OF THE DAY***

“A little self-deprecation never hurt anybody.”

-Me-

No comments:

Post a Comment