Thursday, July 18, 2013

"Make Yourself" by Incubus

When summer vacation came in the year 2000, I was happy to be out of school just like any other videogame-playing kid. I had different reasons for wanting to escape from the hellhole known as WF West High in Chehalis, Washington: bullying. So if I get out of that environment at least for a little while, then I should be able to recover from the mental trauma, right? Wrong! The thing about psychological trauma is that it doesn’t go away when the event is over. It keeps tormenting you until you space out and become a vegetative mental patient. For all the times that I wasn’t spacing out and wishing death upon myself, I heard a little bit of rock and roll playing in the background. That piece of rock and roll was an album called “Make Yourself” by Incubus. Seeing as how I was dead inside and emotionally numb, I shouldn’t have been able to feel any kind of music flowing through my veins. But the thing about Brandon Boyd’s lyrics is that they speak to trauma victims in a way that’s completely relatable. Listen to these lyrics from the song “The Warmth”. “So don’t let the world bring you down. Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you’re alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.” Brandon Boyd made me want to believe in life again with those words alone. And in case that wasn’t enough incentive, here are some lyrics from “When It Comes”. “Just when you thought it was safe to think, in comes mental piracy. You know what I’m looking for cannot be sold to me. I wish they all would stop trying. ‘Cause what I want and what I need is and will always be free.” Still not enough incentive? How about “Pardon Me”? “So pardon me while I burst into flames. I’ve had enough of the world and its people’s mindless games. So pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames. Pardon me, pardon me. I’ll never be the same.” At this point, this shit was too much to bear. It was either reach out to my family and friends or suffer alone in a vegetative deep fry. Instead of choosing suicide, I chose life. After a few sessions of EMDR and some bottles of Paxil, I was back on my feet again. Those feet would be best used during a summer retreat where I got to dance with two different girls to slow, romantic songs. Being that close to those women was enough to convince me to actually want to have the company of a girlfriend. So in a sense, I guess you could say that Incubus saved my life. And don’t you worry about me posting in a book blog about a music CD. Lyrics count as literature too, you know. Thanks, Incubus, for showing me that there’s life beyond Chehalis.

 

***COMEDIC QUOTE OF THE DAY***

“They make a low dosage version of antidepressants. It’s for babies!”

-Pat Cashman from “The 206”-

No comments:

Post a Comment